Protect MI Care is a diverse group of organizations and individuals working together to ensure all Michigan citizens have access to high quality, affordable health insurance to improve the health of people and communities.
The Affordable Care Act and the Healthy Michigan Plan have combined to:
- Provide health insurance to about 1 million Michigan residents who were previously uninsured
- Provide a viable marketplace for individuals to purchase health insurance
- Encouraged more employers to offer employees health insurance, reversing a dangerous trend
We believe any health insurance legislation approved by Congress should:
- Protect people by ensuring our current high rate of insurance coverage (94 percent) continues.
- Protect the estimated 30 percent of Michiganders with pre-existing conditions by ensuring they continue to have affordable coverage without state tax support.
- Protect health care providers and those who pay for health insurance (including employers) by ensuring uncompensated care costs continue to decrease.
- Protect low income families by providing federal subsidies so that nobody pays more than 10 percent of household income for health care.
We further believe that any action by Congress should:
- Not move to replace the federal health care law unless and until a replacement plan is first in a place, a position strongly supported by state voters.
- Stabilize the insurance marketplace by providing consistent, long-term policy, as required by insurers.
- Ensure that states including Michigan that agreed to Medicaid expansion continue to receive the federal support promised them.
Protect MI Care Coalition Members
- Michigan Association of Community Mental Health Boards
- Michigan Association of Health Plans
- Michigan County Health Plan Association
- Michigan Disability Rights Coalition
- Michigan League for Public Policy
- Michigan Nurses Association
- Michigan Oral Health Coalition
- Michigan Primary Care Association
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan